Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Breakup Songs

Soundtrack for a Recovering Romantic - I've been working on a list of great break-up songs. Actually, I've just been listening to a bunch of sappy music, but I feel the need to document the songs that have been the most helpful to me. Not that I'm actually over her, so maybe the songs haven't helped, but merely prolong the agony. Hard to say, really. But here goes:

  Melissa Etheridge - The Prison (off Skin). Actually, this is more of a great breakup album. But this is the cream of the crop.

  Jane Monheit - Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most (off Come Dream With Me). Another great album. And I'm Through With Love is, perhaps, the quintessential breakup song.

  Randal Bramblett - End of the String and Disappearing Ink (No More Mr. Lucky). Both truly great breakup songs. Impossible to pick a winner here.

  Train - Drops of Jupiter. Feeds the "she'll miss me and come back sooner or later" fantasy, but still a great song.

  Big Smith - Big Rock. "When the fish bite, who needs a honey? And by the firelight, who's counting money?" and "All I need is a tin of tobacco, and a little hippie hay to get me through the day." It's as good a recipe for romantic triage as I've heard.

  Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes. "Give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" repeated like a mantra.

  The Rainmakers - No Romance. This one's self-explanatory, even if you've never heard it. Also, The One That Got Away, just to properly ironize the pain.

  Suicidal Tendencies - Can't Bring Me Down. When you need to pick up the pace a little.

  Warren Zevon - Empty Handed Heart. I'd actually call this my number one breakup song, even though I haven't listened to it for about a year. But the last time I did, it worked like an emotional emetic. So good it has its own blog entry.

That's my list for now, but I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff off. Any suggestions?

2011 Addendum - A Buzz Out Loud segment dedicated to breakup songs reminded me of this post, so I came back to it and added links to the songs where possible.  As has been the case for years, if you don't already own the Rainmakers, you're probably not going to be able to find them. Sorry.

No comments: