Thursday, November 14, 2002

Moment One - I went into my friendly neighborhood kitchen store today. I'm pathetically susceptible to gadgetitis, especially in the kitchen, and I've allowed myself to be convinced that this will make me more likely to make bread, improve my pie crust, and be helpful to me when I try and make croissants for the first time this weekend. And then I got one of these because I haven't been very satisfied with my liquid measuring experience lately, and because the sales girl was cute.

Her: Can I help you?
Me: I know what I'm looking for, but I'm going to look around for a little while, just for the joy of it.
Her: Okay. But when you need me, just grab me!
Me: [In my head] I'd love to. [Out loud] Count on it.

I found what I was looking for, lingered over the appliances I can't afford, looked at toys I might use but probably wouldn't, and daydreamed about my new Wusthof paring knife for a while, then took my new toys to the counter. Another clerk rang me up, but CuteGirl hung around to put my stuff in a bag, run the credit card machine, smile a lot, laugh at my silly cracks and otherwise do everything possible (without using road flares or visual aids) to let me know she thought I was cute. I flirted back, and walked out the door about three inches taller than I came in.

It was a running joke between my ex-wife and I how clueless I was when girls flirted with me, and I was a little worried when I got single again that I'd still have that problem. That's why I love moments like these. I'm not really in the mood to date right now, but once I am, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to tell when a girl is interested.

In the meantime, I better get my kitchen organized this weekend, because I have a feeling I may be buying an inordinate amount of kitchen equipment.

No comments: