Monday, January 20, 2003

I got an email this morning from a friend and regular reader of the blog. He didn't offer any advice, apart from a little "be careful, don't do anything stupid" which he knew I didn't need to hear, but he kind of needed to say. The funny thing is, there's nothing actually happening. It's mostly just thoughts bouncing around my head, words on a screen, electrical impulses over a phone line.

This morning I lay in bed, wide awake, watching my breathing, trying, for 9 minutes at a time (snooze alarm, ya know?), to let my thoughts happen on their own but not get caught up in them. It was amazing the attention traps my mind kept coming up with, like a little kid tipping over the edge into crazy tired, spinning around hopping on one foot with a finger on his nose saying "Watch me, Daddy, watch me!" or a puppy that wants to play. It was a small-scale version of what the last week of my life has been: My mind running around in circles while I step back and wait for the dust to settle.

In other news, I'm off to Boston tomorrow, so don't expect any new posts for a couple of days. I'd ask people for recommendations of people to see or places to go, but I'm only going to be in town for 25 hours (counting time waiting at the airport), so I'm not making any plans, apart from planning my presentation.

No comments: