Tuesday, January 21, 2003

There is an uncertain virtue to unabashed luxury. Last night I stayed at a Drury Inn in St. Louis; tonight I'm at the Seaport Hotel in Boston. Last night I had a McChicken from the drive-through, tonight I had fillet of sole with baby spinach and a New England crab and brioche bread salad.

Maybe the virtue is in the contrasts. Or maybe I'm just a hedonist. And, yeah, since I'm traveling on business, I'm not actually paying for any of it (well, maybe the McChicken). But I'm at a point in my life that I could actually afford to do this every once in a great while, and I think I might have to start. I'm thinking a shoestring trip to Europe, backpacking and youth hostels all the way, just so that I can afford that one last night in a 4 star hotel in Rome.

No comments: