Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Work lately has been like trying to add a new wing to a house while renovating the kitchen, and then suddenly a very tiny little fire breaks out in the bedroom. It's not a big fire, but you've gotta run back there and stomp on the little bastard before it spreads. So you go back to working on the plumbing, but then there's another one, this time in the living room. It's only about 20 feet away, but you still have to put down the wrench, and now there's a steady drip going while you're off putting out the fire, and then somebody comes along to tell you that the lumberyard forgot to deliver the wood for the new staircase, but the way it comes out is "Mike, you forgot to call the lumberyard and remind them to do what they said they would..."

You get the idea. Nothing horrible, nothing tragic, no crises to speak of, just a whole bunch of minor annoyances that build until somebody comes into my cubicle to ask a question and gets a blank stare in reply.

All of this is exacerbated by the fact that I was up until 2 last night thinking thoughts that, if I had any sense at all, I wouldn't be thinking.

Oddly enough, I'm not stressed about it. All I can do is work as hard as I can, then take a break when I can't work any more. Besides, it's almost time to go home, and I'm thinking tonight's a night for caipiroska and Buffy, Season Three.

No comments: