Friday, March 28, 2003

I feel like being overseas lends me a unique and valuable perspective on the war. That is, I get to watch a couple of hours of war coverage a night, and I'm watching it while FOX, CNN, and BBC are asleep, so frequently the news I do watch is on a 30 minute loop, telling me without telling me that even if there has been a major development, I won't hear about it until tomorrow. And with limited Net time, I don't even have my usual sources to fall back on. But I do occasionally watch Japanese news. I just don't understand it.

The friend I'm staying with in Tokyo is a FoxNews disciple, and when we got home last night, Ari Fleischer was giving a press conference. the Foxies were pissed that people were asking tough questions, while I was pissed they were asking tough questions now. The gripes they were bringing up were nothing that couldn't have been foreseen two weeks ago, but two weeks ago I didn't see any of these questions being debated with significant coverage. But now that it's too fucking late, they start asking questions. Of course, it can't help that we have an administration whose most consistent message on the war has been, "We don't care what anyone says or does, we're going to war. Any questions?"

I'd like to thank the Bush administration for removing any vestiges of political apathy I might have had left, but I'm saving it up for after the war. Why? Because the question of whether or not we go to war is past, and the absolute worst thing that could happen right now is for us to lose resolve and pull out, reinforcing the perspective that America can't stand to see American casualties (thereby inviting more terrorist attacks on our overseas bases) and leaving Saddam, who was harmless outside his own country before we went in, a hero in the Arab world for facing down the great Satan. In terms of lives ruined and bodies in the ground, making a hero of Saddam is the worst thing that could come out of this.

That's why I'm not protesting, though my anger at this administration grows with every casualty, American or Iraqi. We were never given a good reason for this war, only told that the President wanted it and we could come along or not. If the American people said, "Let's get Saddam", then I'd accept the loss of life on our side and hope that the Iraqi lives saved by ousting Saddam could balance out the Iraqi lives lost and ruined by the war. But the support the American people have shown for this war is marginal at best, and clearly came from the top down. There is blood on Bush's hands, and I will do everything I can to see that he doesn't have a second term. Hell, I might even support impeachment if it was demonstrated that he broke the law somewhere in this drive to war.

But not until after the shooting stops.

No comments: