Friday, March 21, 2003

Woke up yesterday morning in Tokyo, to, "So, do you think Bush'll start bombing in five minutes?" I thought she was kidding, till I saw the countdown on Fox News. As it turns out, it was more like ten minutes than five. Woke up in Seoul this morning to "So, we've got troops on the ground in Kuwait..."

This is, to say the least, an interesting time to be travelling abroad. I wish I spoke Korean so I could get more of the local coverage of the war. On the plane in, there was a subtitled broadcast, and it was surprisingly fair, in that it was equally skeptical of the motives of those who support and those who oppose the invasion. As it is, I'm just getting the opinions of ex-pats who are almost exclusively opposed to the war. Being abroad, I feel like I ought to be priviledge to some kind of unique insight, but my media sources here are pretty much the same as they'd be at home: CNN and the web. Not speaking the language, I'm left with the same feeling I've had all week of skipping across the surface of another culture, with no real clue about what's going on beneath the surface.

No comments: