Monday, April 21, 2003

The Joys of Being a Selfish Bastard - Rayne posted the tale of her Easter Sunday. Her holiday was the kind of mundane nightmare a holiday can become when you've got obligations to meet, kids to wrangle, errands to run, and a deity to worship, but there's this headache hanging off the back of your neck, sapping your joy. It's the kind of day I've had a dozen times before, and I should be empathizing out the wazoo, but she mentioned Key Lime Pie, and, while my eyes are still moving over her words, my mouth is having citrus fantasies, and my mind is planning a stop at the store on my way home.

There are two possible interpretations of this. One is the standard, "isn't technology wonderful", that the Internet enables me, a divorced man, to simulate the experience of tuning out my wife while she tells me about her day. The other is probably more useful, and should be taken as an object lesson to women everywhere: If you want us to listen to your problems, don't mention pie.

No comments: