Thursday, September 18, 2003

Every gearhead has a particular kit together for whatever it is he (or she, let's be fair) is passionate about. For the last several weeks, I've been spending an evening or two each week hanging out at Lakota and writing. It's become a habit, though the days vary, so my kit is hanging by the front door, ready to go at any moment:
The bag is one Emily picked up for me in Brazil, so it has serious sentimental value, and it's just the right size to hold a steno pad, which is my medium of choice when it comes to pen and paper, since they're cheap, lined on both sides, and the back is nice and stiff. Also in the bag is my copy of Georges Polti's Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations (out of print, alas), and the portable keyboard for my Axim, which rides on my belt. I realize that there are more romantic media for writing than a handheld computer, but I can type faster than I can write by hand, and using a typewriter ties me to my office and still doesn't translate to PC without enormous trouble. Besides, I'm as much a technogeek gearhead as I am a Romantic, and the technogeek gearhead wins out in this case.

Also of note is that tomorrow is Talk Like a Pirate Day, so if you need to talk to me my pirate name is "Iron Tom Rackham", and that is the only thing I will be answering to. My only question is whether it's better to answer the phone at work, "Avast ye!" or with a simple "Arrrrr!"

If you didn't see it the last time I linked it, click here for a picture of a special ergonomic keyboard designed especially for pirates, ya scurvy dog!

No comments: