Monday, January 19, 2004

Except for a few months here and there, I've lived in Missouri my whole life, so when I tell you that Gephardt is a boring, white-bread schmuck, it's not an opinion I've come to recently, it's the result of years of exhaustive research. Of course, when you're dealing with a boring, white-bread schmuck like Gephardt, just listening to one speech is exhausting enough. But it's MLK day and caucus day, and I don't want to spend too much time tearing down someone who might, if hell freezes over, be running against Bush in the fall. And rest assured, if Gephardt wins the nomination, I'll be voting for him, though I'll likely have to stifle a yawn as I do so.

Why am I telling you this? Because Salon's article on this weekend's last minute rallies in Iowa contains a sentence that, in a just world, would torpedo Gephardt's campaign: "Gephardt, whose most important endorsements in Iowa were probably from the heads of the unions that provide most of his strength, went in a slightly different direction by producing singer Michael Bolton to sing at one of his events." Boring, white-bread schmuck. I rest my case.

No comments: