Thursday, August 12, 2004

I could go into the reasons why I haven't been writing as much lately, but I'm not entirely sure what they are. I've got a number of building and home improvement projects going, for one thing, which means that when I sit down to get creative, it's more likely to be with graph paper than college ruled. I've been following politics, of course, but even I'm getting bored with talking about how the Bushies are screwing up the country. It used to be that opposing their policies meant arguing with them, in the sense that you could dissect their logic and see where the two of you diverged.

Nowadays, though, the difference is not one of approach, values, or reasoning; it's one of facts. And it's no fun saying, over and over again, no, Iraq was not a serious threat to our security, no, Afghanistan is not stable, yes, Bush has lied to us about a great many things, and no, Kerry and Edwards are not the first and fourth most liberal Senators. Anymore, if I get into a political argument with somebody, it takes about five minutes before we're both sputtering like morons and our eyes are popping out of our heads. Like I said, it's no fun. No fun at all.

So instead I've been thinking about furniture, landscape timbers, and renovations. That's how I stumbled across HouseInProgress.net, a chronicle of a young couple's renovations to a classic bungalow. In their own words, "It's like camping with a mortgage." If sustainability's more your thing, you might check out Glen Hunter's Straw House blog. But if weird furniture's your thing, there's FunFurde.

But if you insist on thinking about the direction our country's heading in, may I suggest reading Kevin Drum's post on economic security? He suggests that recent Bush policies are offloading the economic risk from businesses and government onto the shoulders of individuals, with the result that all of us are closer to catastrophe, with the result that even if we're doing okay financially, the increase in fear wears at us. Not to put too fine a point on it, I think he's exactly right.

No comments: