Friday, November 12, 2004

Remember that choral piece I'm supposed to be writing for a friend? Well, I think I know how I want to do it. Since it's for an unaccompanied SATB choir (soprano, alto, tenor, bass), I'm thinking of four inter-related pieces, tied together around certain key words or phrases. A lot of the implementation is going to be up to the composer, obviously, but I think it's an idea with legs. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, here's the second draft of the first piece:

  Tokyo nightmare waking, smoke a lucky strike to clear the air
  and know it's somehow lunchtime yesterday at home to think of calling back
  in time to hear her voice but fifteen hours not nearly long enough
  and so I light another, lean against the railing barefoot on the balcony
  concrete cold and buzzing streetlight, head swimming back and forth in time to
  find a future full of you and wonder: Am I lost yet? Can I go home?

   The ticket's in my suitcase pocket,
   but crossing the dateline is tricky,
   and I won't know till I've landed
   exactly when I am.

No comments: