Thursday, January 06, 2005

Yesterday it rained, and last night it froze. It took me half an hour to clear my windows this morning, if you include it the break I took to let my cheeks thaw (it was all of 14 degrees at the time). My usual route is mostly side streets, but I thought it best to stick to the main roads, thinking they'd be salted and cindered by now.

Oops.

When the car started sliding, I did everything I was supposed to. I pumped the brakes, which succeeded in turning me sideways, so I steered into the skid, which got me back to being aimed straight for the SUV in front of me. There was a nice yard on my right, which seemed like the perfect place to stop, but I couldn't turn sharply enough, so instead of going into the yard, I went into the pole.

Luckily, I was only going about 10-15 mph at the time. Unluckily, I hit the pole squarely with the front corner of my car, doing some level of damage to my bumper, quarter panel, hood, grill cover, headlight, radiator, and who knows what else. Since I drive a ten year old tic-tac, that makes it pretty likely that I just totalled my car.

So, how was your day?

No comments: