Friday, July 01, 2005

I keep running across reviews calling Mr. and Mrs. Smith the worst, most distasteful, downright morally vacant film ever foisted upon the viewing public. Huh. I kind of liked it, actually. Good action, funny dialogue, and lots of beautiful, expensive stuff getting blown all to shit.

But here's what I really liked about it (possible spoiler alert): There is a point, about three fourths of the way through, when the two main characters realize that everything they think they know about one another is a carefully constructed facade, that everyone in the world is out to get them, and that their best bet for survival is to shake hands, split up, and get on with our lives. Their response? "Fuck the world, let's stay together."

I suspect that there is a moment like that in every marriage, although with slightly less gunfire. Probably lots of moments like that. And that they both responded the way they did made them my kind of crazy, which is why this was my kind of movie.

Also, I'm leaving on my annual media fast, so I'll be away from the blog for the next week or so.

No comments: