Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Last week, I didn't read the newspaper, watch TV, or go online at all. If I wanted to know what the weather was like, I stepped out onto the deck. If I wanted to know what it was going to be like later, I looked across the lake to see what was heading our way. If I wanted to know what sort of things were happening in the world, I set my best friend's 16 month old son on my lab and read Dr. Seuss's Foot Book to him for the 17th time.

The world was too much with me for a while there, and my brain stopped being able to tell the difference between the things I could do something about, and the things I couldn't. I had to take a break, get someplace where I could see the stars, and find my bearings. I'm back now, and while I was away, terrorists bombed London, the Bush administration kept shoveling bullshit, and a hurricane hit Florida.

In much smaller news, there were no messes to clean up when I got back to work, no unexpected to-dos, the house is still here, the cats are healthy, and I can't stop smiling, even when I think of far away sufferings, though the smile turns sad, with an angry edge when I think of the morons running our country, and all the things they could be doing right, but aren't. But saving the world doesn't seem to be my road this time around, and I'm okay with that. I've got enough to do just cultivating my garden.

Luckily, that hurricane is just a summer rainstorm now, and it's been awfully dry here in the midwest.

No comments: