Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mushroom Sutra
With the air turning cool these days, Christie's been craving fall flavors. This past Saturday, we walked around downtown, reading specials boards and menus, but they were still calibrated to summer, so instead we headed to the grocery store for mushrooms and squash.

That afternoon, we stood on opposite sides of the island while I sliced the 2 lbs. of baby portobellas I needed for mushroom soup, and she diced the squash, minced the onions, crushed garlic, got out the dishes and alphabetized the knife drawer. And still, I sliced. The strange thing was, I couldn't stop smiling.

I was standing opposite my favorite woman in the world, and we were cooking and laughing together. The knife felt right in my hand, and rocked easily back and forth as I sliced the 'shrooms. I had no fears, no worries, not even anything I could really call thought. Just happiness with where I was and what I was doing.

It's exactly what my mom must mean when she says, "a really good recipe, with a satisfactory amount of chopping."

On the other hand, I did sort of stab Christie this one time, but it was only a little bit, and I barely even broke the skin. So, when chopping vegetables, "in the zone" is good, but zoning out is bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.