Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My folks came to town this weekend, and Christie got to hear a family legend, with a twist that was new to me:

Mom: You've got to understand, I've got kind of a different perspective on this, since I watched Kansas City flood back when I was, oh, I don't know, seven or eight. We all sat up on the bluffs and watched the water come in. But at least we got out.

Me: You had to get shots, right?

Mom: Typhus shots, yeah. Because my brother went into the stockyards to bring cattle up out of the floodwaters for ten, fifteen bucks a head.

Me: That was good money, though...

Mom: Only the people paying weren't necessarily the rightful owners.

Me: Wait a minute. I never heard that part before. You're telling me that Uncle Harry was rustling cattle in downtown Kansas City?!

Dad: That's not rustling. It's called salvage.

No comments: