Thursday, December 22, 2005

Everybody Else is Doing It: Year In Review
In a year full of projects and parties and friends and family and big changes seemingly every week, Christmas seems less like Christmas! and more like, well, Sunday. The main difference is that I listen to slightly less punk while I'm working on house projects, and slightly more Bing Crosby.

This time last year, Christie and I were freshly married, and just about to head down to New Orleans to surprise her family. Naturally, the New Orleans airport iced in, and we got stuck in traveller's limbo for a while. This year, we're freshly back from New Orleans, where the weather was pretty cooperative, having shot its wad back in August.

The big difference is the new house, and that's what takes up most of our time and energies these days. Unlike the last one, this one's a pleasure to work on, and I often find myself rifling through my toolbox just for the joy of tinkering.

Other than that, there's not too much to say. Most days, I feel like the luckiest man in the world for Christie having said "I do", and I'm not just saying that because her mother reads my blog. When I'm with her, I'm the best and happiest version of myself that I've ever known. Work is good. Both cars are running, there's nothing functionally wrong with the house, money's not tight, and, yet, we've weathered enough bumps and stress in the last year to give me an idea of how we'd weather a crisis, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm also well aware of how lucky this makes Christie and I, and I'm grateful for it all.

Now if we could just do something about that asshat in the White House.

No comments: