Monday, January 30, 2006

It was a little odd Salon's review of Neil Chethik's new book VoiceMale, because I'd just been thinking about the sorts of issues it covers. Basically, it's an exploration of the way men behave in their marriages, how they feel, what they think, and, most importantly, what they do. Most importantly, that is, to the men, because it turns out that men mostly like to express their love by doing, not saying.

This may sound funny coming from a poet and a blogger and a writer, but while I appreciate that sometimes you need to say just the right thing, in the end, I think talk is cheap. A love that drive you to give a five minute monologue doesn't impress me nearly as much as the love that gets you off the couch to clean the kitchen while your wife is having a girls' night out with her friends, or the love that keeps her car full of gas and running right.

On the other hand, maybe the reason I feel that way is because finding the right words comes easy to me, while getting my ass up off the couch comes hard.

No comments: