Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Note to Self: get this book.

Note to Others: I'm just finished reading Gene Wolfe's The Knight, and I can't quite explain my reaction to it. It's about a teenage boy pulled from our world into another, and magically transformed into a great and powerful warrior. I've read a dozen books with that as the seed of their plots, and there are hundreds more that I haven't. They generally suck. Almost every woman or woman-like creature that our hero meets seems to want to sleep with him. Again, generally not a good sign. And the plot jumps from one quest to another, half of the plots left seemingly unresolved (it's the first of a two-parter, so who knows?). Frustrating to say the least.

I can't put the damn thing down, and it's having a serious affect on my sleep cycle. The characters are vivid and true, and the writing is casually beautiful and evocative in a way that appears to be tossed-off, but is actually precise as hell. I highly recommend it.

No comments: