Friday, March 03, 2006

Me: It's a simple rule. If kids are in the boat, they wear a PFD!

Christie: It's not that simple. You have to make a judgement call. Sometimes a PFD is called for, sometimes it isn't.

Me: On the river, sure, I can see that. Sometimes it's more dangerous to have a life vest on than not. But on a lake, you should always wear a PFD. It's a no-brainer!

Christie: No, it isn't!

Me: Yes, it is.

Christie: Look, I have boated on big lakes, small lakes, the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico. I think we should let the person who actually knows what they're talking about make the decisions about this sort of thing.

Me: What? Is that how it's going to be? I can't even tell our hypothetical kids a dirty joke, but you're allowed to take them out on the lake and drown them? How is that fair?

In Mike-World, this is where I won the argument. In real life, Christie went on to explain several circumstances in which wearing a PFD actually made lake boating more dangerous, and I was forced to admit that I was wrong.

I like Mike-World better.

5 comments:

cleek said...

It's ok, because in real-world, Uncle Billie will tell the dirty jokes to anyone willing to listen (including hypothetical kids

Christie said...

For the record, I was talking about when our hypothetical kids are older. Kids under 14 should always wear a PFD.
-c

Anonymous said...

When I first read this post I read, not "PFD" but "PDF" and was wondering what the hell an interoffice memo had to do with water safty.

Patrick

Mike said...

Reminds me of The IT Crowd, a new series from BBC set in the IT department of a large corporation. One of the episodes had this exchange:

"Fire!"

"I've sent an email; it's taken care of."

jeffrey said...

My philosophy: if ONE floatie is safe, then THREE floaties should be triple safe!

PDFs are even safer if not entirely relevant.