Friday, July 21, 2006

Let's Not and Say We Did
As I was growing up, my Dad had several, well, I guess you'd call them catchphrases. It was a little like being raised by Stan Lee, or maybe Howard Cosell. He called us "Sports fans" and woke us up in the morning with "Let's see a little vim! Vigor! And enthusiasm!" Exactly like that, with little exclamation points and everything. I have a feeling most of them were pop culture references I never got, but a few of them were punchlines to often-told jokes, like "What you mean 'we' white man?"

And then there was the title of this post, which he often said in response to his own suggestions. He'd think of something funny, suggest we do it, then pause and say, "Ah, let's not and say we did."

Why am I telling you this now? Because I just ran across this title in the database and thought about getting it for Christie as a gift. I'd take it home and before giving it to her, explain that I was absolutely, positively not a doubt in my mind sure it was going to be a surprise. Then she'd ask why, and I'd whip the book out from behind my back and say "Because no one expects The Spanish Inqisition!"

I'd laugh hilariously, while Christie gives me that look she gets when I've done something very mildly amusing that I think is much, much funnier, and then she'd ask how much money I spent on this stupid joke.

And then I thought, "Nah. Let's not, and blog about it."

No comments: