Saturday, September 30, 2006

As so many woodworking projects do, it all started in the fabric store.

I can't remember what Christie was looking for, but we ended up digging in the clearance section, where we found some tan ultrasuede for about $2 a yard. I said, "Ooh!" and Christie said it'd be all wrong for the thing she was working on, and I said, "Weren't you wanting a headboard?" Suddenly, we had a new project. I told her what I had in mind, and we headed to Home Depot and Lowe's to check out lumber. We picked out some stock molding, poplar, and some stain, then hit Westlake's for foam and Hobby Lobby for batting.

That was three months ago. I was, um, working out the details of the execution. Totally not procrastinating.

Anyway, the weekend before last, I did the cutting and glued up the frame. Last weekend, I stained it (I used a blend of cherry and walnut oil-based stain, then sealed it with two coats of water-based polyurethane). Today, Christie and I glued the foam to the backing, upholstered it, and mounted it on the bed. The last step was attaching some lights to the top, just for giggles.

I tried to take some in-process pictures so you could see how it all came together, but they didn't come out. Ah, well.

Photos of the finished product are here.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Beautiful!!! Love the leaf detail in the woodwork.

Mike said...

Thanks. But Christie picked out the wood, so she gets all the credit. Although I will take credit for getting the corners to match up as well as they did.