Friday, September 08, 2006

Two things that have been rattling around in my brain lately:

Intelligent Design vs. Evolution. I've got enough of a background in science fiction, fantasy, and religion to acknowledge the possibility that entities so far beyond our understanding that we would almost certainly call them gods (or even the prime mover itself) might have intervened in the processes of our evolution in order to steer things in a direction more interesting to them. Heck, we do it all the time. (I dare you to look at my mother-in-law's Pomeranian and tell me that nature's going to produce something that puffy and photogenic.)

But if that's the case, I want to know the details, and I'm confident that if it's the case, the evolution guys would figure it out infinitely faster than the I.D. guys. And I mean that literally. I don't know how long it'd be before the evolutionists starting noticing something hinky, but intelligent design as an epistemological movement isn't about changing the direction of our enquiry, it's about calling off the search.

Thing Two - Path to 9/11, the silly movie from ABC: I've sent a couple of emails to our local ABC affiliate over the issue, but I don't feel 100% that I'm in the right. Not that I ever feel 100% that I'm in the right. Self-doubt is, after all, my drug of choice. But here's the thing: The writer has a history as a right-wing activist, and the producers invited lots of input from Republicans, but none from Democrats. The provided preliminary screeners to right-wing bloggers, but none to left-wing or moderate bloggers. And several Republicans have said, in essence, "I told them I thought they got this scene and that scene wrong, and they changed them", while the Democrats who provided the same sorts of critiques eventually quit the film in frustration at not being listened to.

I haven't seen the film, nor do I plan to. And I'm uncomfortably aware that this puts me in the same boat as the folks who burn Harry Potter books. The difference, for me, is that this film purports to tell a true story and claims to be based on factual sources, but the producers seem to have taken a strictly partisan approach to the truth, and left the facts to languish. Finally, a good part of why the media in this country is so conciliatory to the right wing is because they squawk so damn loud when something offends their sensibilities. The result has been that liberals, even moderate ones, are almost never seen on TV while the likes of Ann Coulter get carte blanche to tell lies about us. Maybe it's good for the media to know we can squawk, too.

No comments: