Thursday, October 12, 2006

Last night, Christie and I volunteered to go phone canvassing for the McCaskill campaign. This morning, the radio comes on, and the first thing we hear is a pro-McCaskill ad by the Democratic party about her "Missouri Values" saying, among a whole bunch of other things, that "marriage is between a man and a woman."

See, and here I am, a Missouri man, married to a Missouri woman, and our values tell us that our gay friends have the same right to marry the people they love as our straight ones. I'm going to vote against Talent because he and his party have a record of sticking their noses where they don't belong, and using what they find (or lying about what they find) as a way of distracting us while they take our country further in the wrong direction.

I want to vote for someone who's going to espouse values I agree with, preferably in a way that helps people see that being a liberal happens because of our values, not because we don't have any. I want to vote to someone who's not distracted by the Republican bullshit machine, but actually spends her time on real problems, in areas where government can do some good. Is that candidate Claire McCaskill? According to that ad, it's not.

Look, I know this is a tight election, and that sometimes you have to strategize. But running to the right of Jim Talent doesn't give me a reason to vote for Claire McCaskill, it takes away from my reason for voting for her. And it makes me less enthusiastic about volunteering my time or money to help put more ads like that on the air.