Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Christie and I were talking last night about why we're not interested in seeing Borat. For her, it comes down to the fact that Sacha Baron Cohen has, in essence, a giant pulpit from which to ridicule the people in his movie. After all, it's the number one movie in America. But the people he's making fun of have, for the most part, no pulpit, no power, no voice with which to defend themselves. It's bullying on a grand scale.

For me, yeah, there's that. But there's also the fact that he purports to be making fun of intolerance and stupidity in America, but the people he appears on film with are the ones open and tolerant enough to invite him into their homes or otherwise seek common ground with him. The intolerant ones are the ones who punch him repeatedly in the face until Dr. House can come to his rescue (man, to have been a fly on the wall for that altercation). As near as I can tell, the "humor" in this movie is based on Borat's pushing these people's tolerance to the absolute breaking point, well past what most of us would take. I just don't see the humor, I guess.

For both of us, though, the clincher is that comedy based on humiliation makes us cringe, not laugh, making this the cinematic equivalent of 90 minutes of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Maybe I'm just getting old (actually, I'm definitely getting old), but I can't remember how long its been since they made a movie I actually was excited about seeing.

No comments: