Saturday, November 25, 2006

Let's take a minute to talk about shop safety...

My mom likes to brag about the 2 a.m. phone call she got from me that opened "Hi, Mom. Everyone's okay." So I'll say that I'm fine, but I'm going to have one ugly finger. Depending on what the doctor decides, it might also end up being a bit shorter. I was rabbeting a small board, and it kicked up, twisting in the air, and kicked the first finger of my left hand into the dado blade.

I've been thinking aot about what I was doing and how I was doing it, and the simple fact is that using a tablesaw is somewhat inherently dangerous, but using the tablesaw to rabbet small pieces is especially so. That's a job for a router. When I get back on the horse, that's the plan. But that's a ways off, since no power tools on pain pills is safety rule one.

And really, I'm fine. Feeling a little stupid, and fairly heavily medicated, but I can count up a bunch of ways I was lucky. Just not on my fingers.

2 comments:

Rita said...

What is it with you guys trying to make 6 fingers on one hand? (Ask Rob about that) I'm very glad you didn't succeed and you are sober enough to tell the tale on those pain pills. (Apparently it's not inhibiting your ability to type 3-fingered either)

Karl said...

I had my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand pulled into a planing saw - through a sixteenth of an inch gap - I yanked them back out to discover I was short two fingernails and in need of some stitches. I got to keep the fingers and the nails grew back about a year later - still have some nice scars and a new respect for large metal blades.