Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The hotel I'm staying at in Philly has wired internet access in the room with eye popping terms of service. For one, it contains the phrase "You agree that  (Insert Name of Large Hotel Chain and/or Slutty Heiress)  shall own all Information."

That's quite a claim, even with their limited definition of "Information", which is basically whatever they deem worthwhile to slurp out of my data stream. Including transaction data. Wow. Yikes. Not even remotely customer friendly.

The cereal bar on the corner, however, has free wifi, with no restrictions at all, and I'm close enough that I still get two bars, which is more than sufficient for my needs. And there are three or four other wireless networks within range as well, though admittedly with crappy signals. So yay for Cereality, guys!

Now, if you excuse me, I think I'm going to go have Captain Crunch for dinner.

Update: I forgot to mention the part of the user agreement that caught my attention in the first place, that the hotel claimed the right to use, publish, and disseminate, for any reason, said Information in perpetuity, throughout the universe. Those were their exact words. I can just imagine the lawyers sitting around getting stoned, watching Star Trek, and wondering what was going to happen to their intellectual property contracts after we discovered warp drive and were no longer confined to this planet.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Yippee for cereal bars! I've never been to one myself, but I think it would probably make that trip worth it for me. Hope you had a safe trip.