Friday, May 04, 2007

Everybody loves Neil Gaiman's porridge recipe, but I lost the little index card I had it written on. Plus I changed it a bit to fit with Alton Brown's oatmeal science. So here's my adapted version:

1 tblspn. unsalted butter
1 tblspn. steel cut oats
3/4 cup rolled oats
2 cups water
1/4 tspn. salt (a bit more if you use coarse salt)

Put the 2 cups water in your electric kettle to start it boiling. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then cook the steel cut oats for a bit. Add the rolled oats and stir. Cook until you start to smell the nutty goodness of the oats. Add the boiling water. There will be spattering, so I recommend adding it kind of gradually. Stir vigorously.

Cook uncovered for about ten minutes. Add the salt a few minutes in.

Serve with accoutrements of your choice. I like it with just a bit of brown sugar. Christie likes it with pecans. It's all up to you.

Oh, and if you're making it for someone with a dietary need to control their cholesterol, you can use olive oil instead of butter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for a real treat, brown sugar and *Heavy Cream*

ahhh

Dawn

Anonymous said...

brown sugar & heavy cream. . . that's one small part of why I love you Dawn.

Patrick