Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Entertainment bench



And this is my contribution to the new living room arrangement. We'd been wanting to put the TV on the mantle, but the windows flanking the fireplace meant there was no good place to stick the receiver, VCR, Tivo, etc. My solution was to build a low bench to fit under the window, with storage for the electronics. it's got adjustable shelves on each side, and a vertical section in the middle for storing DVDs, or maybe someday a Wii. The slats on the back are so I can run the wires, and the back is recessed about 3 inches to make room for the surge protector and give me space to organize all those wires, which Christie's dad has compared unfavorably to the guts of the space shuttle (and he would know!).

Christie's already made one cushion, which we'll use either for this bench or the other one I'm making for the dining room. Oh, and now you know what my workshop looks like when I'm in the middle of a project: a total friggin' mess.

2 comments:

Karl said...

Cool - I'm not sure yet what we'll be doing in the new house - if the TV goes in the basement then the ceilings are too low for a Wii tennis serve. I hope to have a workroom, but we're moving a lot of ceramics stuff home from U.M.S.L. as Jes isn't teaching in the fall - so the workroom will start as a pottery studio - maybe there's room for me in the garage.

Mike said...

Garage workshops are great. It's easy to get materials in, and when the weather is nice, you can work in the driveway.

I can't, of course, because our driveway is at a 45 degree angle. But nothing's perfect. I can't really complain, seeing that I have a huge workspace in the garage.