Friday, June 29, 2007

The problem with reading a book like Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven : Story of Violent Faith is that when it's a nice night and you're out for a walk with your wife, and a couple of tie-wearing guys on bikes ask you, "Are you familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?", you're likely to say something like, "Yes, I'm entirely too familiar with your religion. But y'all have a nice night, alright?" and walk firmly away.

I felt kind of bad about it, but Christie pointed out a number of things I could have said that would have been much ruder. Funnier, though.

3 comments:

salomesmile said...

Oh Mike. You must imagine the responses I cook up for the door-to-door evangelists who visit my neighborhood.

Fortunately, Jack has fielded all the necktie god dealers who've come to our door. He's much nicer than I am.

--Melissa

Anonymous said...

I've always thought--what a waste of young man power--put 'em to work helping to build houses with Habitat for Humanity or any other charitable service work. There's something backwards in asking young men to wander the neighborhoods as door-to-door salesmen when they could be doing much more productive service oriented activities--even in the name of religion.

--Dawn

salomesmile said...

I had no idea that blogger would make my screen name into a link to my little blog.

Hey Dawn, come over and check it out. I'm trying to use some of my wasted hours in front of the computer to get in touch with people from college. I don't have much substance in place there yet, but I'm hoping it can be an organizational tool for maintaining communication with a lot of people who are all over the country at this point.