Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This post on the Wall Street Journal blog (Are Dads Less Handy Around the House?) questions the dichotomy in many men's mind between fixing things around the house and spending time with their kids.

I know I sometimes have to remind myself to shift gears when I'm working on a project with other people. The other night, Christie and I were over at Michael and Lorie's, and one of the possible items on the to-do list was putting together their new grill. There's at one step in the process that requires two people and works best with three, so it was a good thing that Christie and Michael started helping. But Grant, being as in love with tools as he is, was desperate to help.

He's three.

I'll admit, it was a bit of a relief that it took him so long to realize what we were up to, and I was a little glad Lorie was keeping him distracted. But once the heavy lifting was done, it was a blast watching him "tighten" screws with a wrench, having him fetch tools, and so on.

One of my dad's catchphrases when I was a kid was "I would have been done sooner, but I had help." There was a bit of that in this project, sure. But it always takes longer to teach than it does just to do, and the world needs more people that like to fix stuff.

No comments: