Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Writer John Scalzi went to the Creation Science Museum so that you don't have to.

Wow, flashback city. Growing up, my folks sent me to a fundamentalist Lutheran school, largely, I like to think, because it was better than the Kansas City public schools. And there really wasn't a single piece of crazy in this piece that I didn't hear growing up. From teachers. Poison ivy was caused by eating from the tree of knowledge? Yep. Dinosaurs on the ark? Yeah, we debated that.

It was the 70s, the era of In Search Of..., so there was also some debate about whether or not Bigfoot was on the ark (remember, the Bible does mention "giants"). And general consensus among my very geeky peers was that the flood caused some sea animals to be stranded inland, which explains how a plesiosaur ended up in Loch Ness.

It's not hard to imagine why I'm thinking about religion a lot lately. For one thing, there's the fact that Christie got pregnant at all. But that wasn't exactly a miracle. Just fairly unlikely. According to one doctor, based on one test. I'm ecstatic about us reproducing, but I'm not going to reconsider 25 years of skepticism because of it.

And then there's the baptism question. That's probably a blog post entirely to itself, and I'm not going to get into it until Christie and I have talked about it, which we haven't.

I will, however, say this, because Christie and I have talked about it many times: Everything I know and believe about what is good and right behavior came from my parents, who are devout but rational people. None of it came from the church. What did come from the church was a boatload of misinformation, twisted logic, guilt, and bad emotional baggage. Nuff said.

1 comment:

Rita said...

You and Del might have a very long discussion in this area. Very long. You have some similar views.