Sunday, January 27, 2008

Absolutely fascinating (if true): In the U.S. south, is Canadian a new racial slur? (via boingboing)

It seems sort of plausible, in that it lets racists talk to another in a dog whistle code that most of us would never pay the slightest bit of attention to. On various occasions over the years, I've been 'pinged' by racists wanting to know if I shared their views, which has generally resulted in my telling them to take a long walk off a short pier. So this does serve a need, in that it gives their racism the social outlet they crave, but reduces the social cost.

On the flip side, though, how does something like this get started? And how does it spread? Is there some newsletter they all get? Was there a text message sent out?

This does mean that I'll have to stop making jokes about "those wily Canadians" and such. Which Christie's cousin pretty much broke me of. I made a crack about Canadians, and Megan said, "Hey, my mom's Canadian!" and that was pretty much it for me making fun of Canucks.

No comments: