Monday, January 28, 2008

I didn't watch the State of the Union Address. It's bad for my blood pressure. But I'm watching the Democratic response right now, and Kathleen Sebelius is impressing me with her words, if not her delivery (which is a little stiff). First off, she's framing it as the American response, not the Democratic one, which is a nice idea. We should try that sometime.

The tone is basically one of rebuke, reminding the President of all the things we, the people, know to be true that he seems unaware of. The line that most sticks out to me is "We know that caring for our children so they have a healthy and better start in life is what grownups do."

Exactly.

2 comments:

blue girl said...

I had to turn the SOTU off because Bush was getting on my nerves so bad and I missed most of the Democratic response. But, what I did see I was *so* underwhelmed by her delivery. So underwhelmed. I do not understand why it's so hard to have real fire in the belly at this point in time -- of all times! When so much need to be done! -- from a Democrat.

I don't get it. If they can't dig deep and find *real* passion NOW, what in the heck is ever going to motivate them?

I don't get it.

Mike said...

I don't know what was up with the delivery, but it really put me off at first. Then I started listening to her words, and the more I listened, the more I like.