Monday, January 14, 2008

So I've got this phone, and I mostly love it (it's a Razr V3), but it has this "feature" that's driving me nuts. There are two buttons on the side of it that you can use to flip between audio profiles, which is nice when I'm heading into a meeting, but it's way too easy for them to get hit by accident while the phone is in my pocket, which isn't really a big deal, except that one of the answer profiles is "Silent". Not vibrate, which I use a lot, but "Silent". No notification of any kind. At all. Nothing. Unless I happen to be staring at my phone screen.

I would say that I can't think of a single use for this profile, but actually I can. If I were being hunted by a serial killer, and I was hiding behind the bathroom door, and I'd already called 911, and they said, "I'm terribly sorry, but I'm in the middle of something right now, can I call you back in just a second?" so I'm waiting for a call with a serial killer RIGHT IN THE NEXT ROOM, and I really don't want him to hear, then, yes, I would be staring at my phone, waiting for the call to come in, but it would be absolutely essential that it not make any noise at all.

So, yeah, I can see where it might come in handy.

But I'd like to be able to delete it, or at least change it to vibrate, because somehow that's the one profile my phone ends up on for days on end, and I miss a bunch of calls without knowing it because I'm not staring at the screen when they come in.

Unfortunately, Motorola, in all their wisdom, seems to have made it impossible for me to remove any of my call profiles. I can edit them, though. Except for the Silent one. That one's locked in all its useless glory, which is just fucking stupid.

No comments: