Thursday, February 28, 2008

I woke up in an implausibly good mood this morning. I can think of a few possible reasons, though:

1. A long-term, intractable plumbing problem is starting to feel tractable, thanks to some work and some research. I removed the leaking diverter valve and took it around town to see if I could get a replacement. Not easily or cheaply, as it turns out.

But I've routed around the valve and tracked down some possible sources. Ebay may end up saving the day here, allowing me to get a $200 part for somewhat less than $90. And my successful work around means I've got time to shop around.

2. Complicated queries working as designed. More seemingly intractable problems, more seemingly workable solutions. The details would bore pretty much anyone, so I won't go into them, but I'm getting closer to that magical point where I pull a number out of the air and say "That's it!"

3. Christie.

Nothing new there or anything, but I can't do a post about being in a good mood without getting mushy about Christie.

4. OCD. After Happy Fun Plumbing Time last night, I spent a little while battling the forces of entropy in the workshop. The trash and recycling bags are hung on the wall, the stereo is set up, and I tested out the small parts sorting system. It's extraordinarily satisfying to dump out a plastic bin and sort out the contents between nails, screws, washers and nuts, then divide out wood screws from machine screws, countersink from pan head, course thread from fine, rustproof from not, phillips from flathead, etc., ad ecstasy.

The fact that #4 is so plausible is slightly disturbing, but I yam what I yam.

No comments: