Friday, February 01, 2008

Saw a Huckabee ad last night. It started with an affirmation that he believes that life begins at conception, then said, "We believe in some things, we stand by those things, we live and die by those things."

This poses a real problem for a political smartass. Do I make some sort of facetious guess about these "things" he claims to believe in? ("Cthulhu fhtagn!") Go the bumper stick route? ("If you believe in things, Vote Huckabee!") Or should I point out the fact that the only "thing" he's willing to get specific about is one that most American's are kind of iffy on? Admittedly, that's not very funny, so I guess not that one.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. I suspect he's trying to go for some kind of dog whistle to the "values voters", telling them he's a man of conviction and strong moral values, but a man of conviction, to me, isn't afraid to name those convictions. This ad just comes across as weaselly and just a little creepy.

No comments: