Thursday, March 20, 2008

Because it's the five-year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, the news media is filled with images of the dead, the brutalized, and the displaced. What's missing is imagery of the reasons we went to war, because those reasons were never made precisely clear, and the goalposts have been moved so many times now that it's difficult to recall what was said when.

I remember what it felt like 5 years ago, blogging about the coming war, screaming at the TV, writing letters, making phone calls, and doing everything in my meager power to slow down our inexorable march toward disaster, while our so-called leaders took the coward's path of political expedience, sending our young men and women into harm's way because they were afraid of some idiot on Fox News impugning their patriotism.

I remember what that felt like, and I feel my anger rising again, and I realize that I still haven't forgiven Hillary.

Update: Several times today I have heard John McCain's trip to the mideast described as a "fact finding mission", and it never fails to crack me up. Apparently one of the facts he uncovered is that Sunni and Shia Muslims sort of have a history of not getting along.

Sigh.

No comments: