Friday, March 14, 2008

Obama's got his preacher problem, McCain's got multiple preacher problems, and I'm sure the fact that Hillary doesn't have one yet is probably because she doesn't really go to church much. I was going to say something about how this is the sort of problem that's going to keep coming up as long as we refuse to elect atheists, but now that I think about it, I guess the path that the Clintons and the Bushes and, in fact, most of the office holders in this country have taken is the way to go. Say you're religious, but be vague on the details and try to spread your church attendance around, if you go at all.

Obama, who seems to authentically have a faith, and McCain, who has to provide bona fides to the religious right, are both now getting bitten in the ass by the particulars of their faith. Like a lot of things, faith looks best from a distance, with a good bit of vaseline on the lens.

Note: I should add that I think there's a serious gap between Obama's pastor holding offensive views and saying offensive things and Obama being blamed for them. He's been asked, he said he strongly disagrees with his pastor, and I think that's enough. McCain, on the other hand, continues to keep his lips firmly planted on the butts of a couple of pastors who believe some truly repulsive (and sometimes laughable) things.

Update: As usual, I spoke too soon. Now Hillary's got a preacher problem, too.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Sorry, I don't buy this one. Barack went to this church for 20 YEARS. He knows full well what this minister says, has said, and will say...and yet he continued to stay on as a member. Now he's doing the Judas thing - denying that he agrees with his minister??? Sorry...I just don't buy it.

I voted for Hillary and will do so again.

Mike said...

I'm curious how you feel about Obama, though, in terms of the primary. I mean, he is ahead right now, so if he gets the nomination, would you support him?

I'm mainly asking because of what the long primary is doing to my feelings for the Clintons. I used to be a fan, and I'd still vote for her over McCain, but I wouldn't volunteer, and I wouldn't give money.

I suspect that what happens once we choose a candidate is that we start to identify with them, and this causes us to start projecting bad things onto their opponents. Not unlike how I feel about the Cardinals. Or the Yankees.

Anonymous said...

Obama was a member of this church.

Obama was married by this minister.

Obama's children we baptized by this minister.

This minister was a part of Obama's campaign until he become odorous.

Study what Obama says in his book.

Nope, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes with Obama. He gives GREAT speeches but.....when the U.S. is having so many problems at home and abroad---I am not willing to vote for an inspirational experiment.

I will vote for Hillary. I will not vote for Obama.

Mike said...

That's too bad. Obama's got a lot of great policy plans, and I believe he's got the chops to pull at least some of them off.

If I thought that Obama believed what Wright believed, then this might change my mind. But I've never once attended a church where I didn't shake my head at some of what the preacher said.

If I was an Obama supporter simply because he gives good speeches, then this might have an effect, but I'm not, so it doesn't.

As for "experiment", Hillary is a much bigger question mark in my mind, for a variety of reasons. But I still think she's infinitely better than McCain.

I'd vote for Hillary, but I'd work for Obama.