Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A stomach bug hit me sometime in the middle of Sunday night, and it stuck with me through yesterday, which meant I missed all of the meaningless pontificating in the lead up to today's primaries.

It hit Christie a little later and a lot more mildly, so while we both were on the couch watching Pride and Prejudice yesterday afternoon, she was actually watching it, and I was sweating out a fever, mostly just listening. When it ended, I took my temperature, and it was 101.9, which is my cue to take lots of pills, which I did, then staggered into the bedroom to wait for the drugs to bring down my fever.

The phrase "fever dream" gets tossed around a lot, but I really can't think of a better way to describe what was going on in my brain as it ran through the various relationships in Pride and Prejudice in light of the fact that reputation is important currency in that society and that the plot arises mostly from the uneven distribution of information that results from that fact.

It quickly ceased to make sense to me as soon as I woke up, but I remember thinking how complicated it all was, especially considering how closely Elizabeth's reputation is tied to that of Darcy (once they are married), and vice versa, which incents them both to only disperse information which makes them both look good, and thinking that the application of game theory to literature would be a fascinating thesis topic.

No comments: