Thursday, May 08, 2008

Christie's in the middle of her eighth month, now, and I think it's as good a time as any for me to praise her to the skies. When I hurt my finger a couple of years ago, I was sidelined for a couple of months, with near constant pain, I couldn't do what I wanted to, and I was on drugs all the time. And, damn, did I get cranky.

Christie, on the other hand, has had seven and a half months of hormone changes, an acrobatic fetus, near constant discomfort, insomnia, hip pain, and a weight on her belly like a backpack you can't take off. Seriously. The last time I did a hike with a pack that weighed what her uterus does, I thought I was going to die.

Her body is literally no longer her own, and that comes with frequent doctor appointments, strangers asking intimate questions, and other indignities I will not go into, but which every woman who's ever been pregnant knows about.

Through all of this, I can count exactly two freakouts, and one of those was spider-related, so it might not have been entirely pregnancy-related (there's a history there).

Ladies and gentlemen, my wife is a superhero.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to suggest the term "Goddess" but hey, if she grooves with "superhero"--it's all good! I think you will be just enthralled and in love with the whole event of labor and birth when it happens and I thank you for having such respect for the process thus far. Good on you both!

Dawn

blue girl said...

That's so great! Not too long to go...

cleek said...

did the last hike with that much weight involve risotto and fine drinks?

Mike said...

I'll admit, I might have overpacked.

Heather said...

You, Mike, are a Rock Star. Bravo for being so appreciative!

We missed you at the party, but are hoping to catch up with you and your lovely family the next time we're in town!