Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I haven't always been the best about watching what I say around toddlers, and and I have a feeling karma is going to bite me in the ass sometime soon. See, I'm not a great lover of children's music, but I'm going to be the one taking Chipmunk to daycare this fall, so I'm trying to come up with a playlist for the drive that won't drive me nuts (no Raffi!) but also won't result in awkward conversations and interesting vocabulary choices when she starts talking.

I may be worrying prematurely, but it's what I do.

Anyway, I've been previewing the playlist and knocking things off as they come up. At this rate, it's going to be a pretty short playlist. Pretty much all the punk is out, even the cute punk, because they have a tendency to use the word "fucking" like it's punctuation. So do I, for that matter, but I'm working on it. "Blame Canada" is so, so out. And that Lyle Lovett song with the line "I want to impress her, cause I'd like to undress her" is definitely out. Same with most of the Johnny Cash. I don't want to have to explain death to her for at least a couple of years.

I'm considering switching to jazz.

4 comments:

cleek said...

They're curious, but not real deep thinkers. Don't sweat the music; listen to what you want, expose her to a lot, and the three of you will be fine. I don't think Taylor has ever asked me a question prompted by the music I was listening to.

Anonymous said...

The first album we ever played around Ian when he was brand new was something by Bill Evans. Now he really loves the Clash. Zoe is partial to Frank Zappa. Consider it part of your role as a parent to expose them to the great wide wonderful world of music that has not been dumbed down. I think my kids are all the better for our diverse tastes. You should hear them play piano. Oh, and for "kids music" we all had lots of fun with They Might Be Giants album "No."

Dawn

breje said...

I went to zooglobble.com in search of kid's music that doesn't suck. There's alot out there these days that's pretty good. Kaia is partial to anything by the Ramones (are all kids?) ...and bluegrass.

Mike said...

Dan Zanes has a couple of kids albums out that are worth listening to as well. One's got him singing "What a Wonderful World" with Lou Reed, for instance.