Monday, June 16, 2008

Pop, Soda, or Coke?
This is interesting. I grew up in Kansas City, and we referred to any non-alcoholic carbonated beverage as "Coke". As in:

"I'll take a Coke."
"What kind?"
"Pepsi."

Their map shows Kansas city to be firmly in the "Pop" camp, but Linn County, KS, where my dad grew up, is one little red dot (Coke) in the midst of blue (pop).

In Columbia, though, if you ask for a Coke, you get a Coke, and I just can't bring myself to say "pop". I don't know why. So I've converted to "soda", and I'm coping fairly well with the change. Obviously, some days are harder than others, but I'm doing okay.

1 comment:

blue girl said...

Brave of you, Mike!  Soldier on! By the way, here's a link to an old post of mine.  I had just returned home from a trip to New York City and was sort of bummed out about it. 

It wasn't *supposed* to be about soda vs. pop vs. Coke, but the comment thread had a mind of its own!  One of my favorite comment threads of all time.  I think you might get a kick out of it.