Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Colic

I don't actually have anything intelligent to say about colic. Really, I don't think anyone dealing with a colicky infant will, given the sleep deprivation and stress they're under. From everything we've read (Christie and I had plenty of time the other night to Google, as neither of us was sleeping, and whoever wasn't walking the baby was working the search engines looking for ideas) and everyone we've talked to, the most common thread is that it's one of those "what cannot be cured must be endured" sort of things.

Like migraines, there's a lot of magical thinking out there about colic (and a lot of really not helpful advice), but we are finding a few things that help a little (Chipmunk has a diaper rash issue that was making things a lot worse). Mostly, though, we're working on coping strategies to get us through the next month or so with our sanity (mostly) intact.

We're following our doctor's prescription to "get help", which is actually pretty hard for Christie and I. Asking for help has never been our strong suit. And then there's the issue of who you can ask to help you with a screaming baby. It's not a job for dilettantes. But we've got fantastic family and friends, and a good lead or two on experienced professional help as well.

In the meantime, please excuse any incoherence or weird babbling.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Awww, Mike. I'm so sorry. Elizabeth was colicky too, so I know what you're going through. She would start crying around 2 pm and continue crying until about midnight every day.

I don't know if it will help you, but the only thing that seemed to calm E-Beth down for us was holding her while bouncing on one of those giant exercise balls. She always quieted right down when we did that.

Apart from that, I don't really have any other ideas to offer. I wish I did.

Hang in there, buddy. It gets better every day. Before you know it she'll be sleeping through the night!

Mike said...

What seems to calm her down is change. Walking in circles while jiggle works for a while, then bouncing, then rocking, then walking in circles again. But she's already getting better. The hardest part for me is that I have to try to sleep through the late night drama so I can function at work and keep the roof up. That's really hard.

Heather said...

Brian and I were lucky - two weeks after E-beth was born, he was laid off from work. At first I panicked, but we decided that Brian would take the time off to freelance and work from home.

We paid dearly for it at tax time, but both of us were able to deal with the constant screaming much better than if he had to get up at 6 am. In fact, we took turns each night. One night "on" duty, one night "off."

Is the house large enough that you could sleep elsewhere temporarily?

Mike said...

That first sentence made me laugh out loud. Clearly, there are a lot of different kinds of luck, and they don't always seem lucky on the face of things.

As far as sleep location, I get to choose between getting a good night's sleep and being able to start that night's sleep snuggling with my honey. Which I choose depends on who we have helping. Where they want to sleep also factors in.

But so far I've slept in the guest room, the baby's room (she's not using it yet), our room, the sofa, the recliner, and a couple of random chairs, if you count dozing off in mid-conversation.

Upstairs (the guest room) is the quietest, but it's the guilt that keeps me awake more than the noise.

Heather said...

Sometimes logic must outweigh guilt. It rarely happens, though. ;-)

By six months, this will all be a distant memory. I promise.