Tuesday, August 26, 2008

If, like me, you installed the Microsoft Silverlight plugin and found that it ate all your bookmarks and crippled Firefox, hopefully what I just did will also work for you: uninstall Silverlight and reinstall Firefox. And stop trusting Microsoft.

Speaking of the new computer, I will say that I'm not completely hating Vista, but I'm not loving it, either. It's certainly pretty, but its kruftiness has more or less erased the performance gains I expected to gain from a faster processor and larger hard disk. I'm seriously considering running Ubuntu from CD and seeing how I like it. Anybody out there who's tried it and has advice?

2 comments:

cleek said...

I have been running Ubuntu on my desktop for the last 3 years or so. Let me know if I can be of help. I don't see me ever using a Windows box for anything other than work again. I certainly have a hard time imagining you not being able to work and play with Ubuntu.

Mike said...

I'll keep you posted, but I think it's going to be a while. I've got a long list of things to get done, and this falls so far below changing diapers that I don't know if it'll rise to the top of the list until Sophie starts school.