Friday, December 19, 2008

I had a nice experience with CapitalOne today. They called me the other day to let me know that my payment was 18 days late (!), and would I like to make a payment now, over the phone? In general, I make it a point to not give information about my bank account to people who call me on the phone, but this woman had all kinds of information that only CapitalOne would have. Of course, making a payment over the phone would have required me to have my checkbook with me, which I didn't, so I made an electronic payment via my bank while I was on the phone, and the customer service rep made a note in the file that the payment should be there by the end of the week. She also said that if it turned out that I'd never received the November bill, I should let them know, and they could send me a copy.

Since then, I've been calling their automated thingamajigger to see if the payment had come in, so I could make sure I was covered. This morning a person answered the phone instead of the usual robot. She confirmed that they'd received the payment, and I told her that I'd looked for the bill, and couldn't find any evidence that I'd received it. I was pretty straight with her, though, that it might have simply been misplaced, and told her that there was no need to send me a copy, as I had other records of what was on it.

With no prompting from me at all, she told me that she "hated to see a late fee on there" as I was such a good customer, and that she'd be removing it.

I realize it's pretty rare for people to write "I just had the best experience with my credit card company!", especially in this credit market, but I did, and I wanted to give them the props they deserve. No Hassle, indeed.

No comments: