Monday, January 05, 2009

Mike's Rules - in installments

In honor of my relatively recent 38th birthday and birth of my first child, I thought I'd write down a few rules I try to live by. My rules for being me, as it were. I have to admit, part of what got me thinking about this was Karl's dying last fall. I feel like I've worked fairly hard to figure out what little I know for certain in life, and if something were to happen, I'd like it to be stored someplace my daughter could find it when she gets older. How's that for a cheery thought? And now is always a good time. In fact, that's today's rule:

If you're thinking about doing it, do it now. I don't know about you, but the thing that stops me from doing stuff, particularly unpleasant jobs like taking out the trash, is desire. And if I'm thinking "I really should take out the trash", it's a pretty good bet that I'm never going to want to take out the trash any more strongly than I do at this particular moment.

And somebody's got to take out the trash. But that's another rule, for another installment.

No comments: