Thursday, January 22, 2009

That giant credit card security breach that was just announced? The one they announced on inauguration day because, I'm sure, they wanted to be sure we all heard about it, so they picked a day when we'd all be watching the news, right?

Apparently, mine was one of the hundreds of millions of cards compromised. On the bright side, there were no wonky transactions. On the bummer side, I have to deal with having no debit card for a while.

In a way, this sort of reinforces the futility of internet-paranoia. I mean, yeah, I never use my debit card on the net. But that doesn't do a hell of a lot of good if the company that processes my in-person transactions has lousy security, the waiter who swipes my card has a coke habit, or the bookstore doesn't shred their paperwork.

No comments: