Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Facebook is weird

You know how it is. At first, your "friends" are people you're actually friends with. Then you get a friend request from someone you went to high school with, which piques your curiousity, so you look up a few people and friend them out of a genuine desire to get back in touch. This, of course, leads to a new batch of friend requests, which may include a guy whose name you remember from summer camp 20 years ago. You're curious, but you can't see his profile until you confirm him as a friend, so you do, on the assumption that they don't have access to Facebook in prison, and you're pleasantly surprised to see that he seems to have his shit together, even if he does have the same haircut he had in 1987.

It goes downhill from there. You go through your yearbooks and friend everyone who looks vaguely familiar, except for that one girl, and that's just because of a pesky restraining order. And people say yes, to be polite, and to find out if you're in jail or not, and whether you finally got rid of the mullet. At some point, you realize that you have a problem, but you're so close to finally having 500 friends that you can't stop. I mean, 500 is a nice round number, plus it would be proof of, well, something, surely. Meanwhile, your wife has stopped speaking to you (her lawyer hit you with a Superpoke, though), the cats are hungry, and the lawn needs mowing.

Okay, it's not really that bad. But it is kind of weird trying figure out how to catch up with people you haven't seen in 20 years, and didn't know all that well even then. I expect most of them will find out that I'm just as weird now as I was then, and stop reading my status updates.

Oh, and for the record, I got rid of the mullet as soon as I went away to college and could finally grow my hair long without my mom constantly bugging me about it.

1 comment:

Melissa J. said...

I must confess. . . I periodically de-friend whole batches of folks I don't really talk to. . . yes, I'm a de-friender and it feels good, like spring cleaning!